THE HERO of THE STORY:
The General Counsel
- Life Sciences Company
- A lot of Intellectual Property to Protect
- Executive Team of More than a Dozen High-Profile Individuals
- General Counsel Already Leading an Effort to Put Better Protections in Place then the CxO was Hacked
While implementing a Digital Executive Protection Program, an Executive Assistant’s device was hacked.
- Highly personal information of executives was exfiltrated
(e.g. passport numbers, SSN, passwords, etc.)
- Company recently had a ransomware incident causing worry about risks from executives’ personal lives to both them and the company
– Loss of intellectual property
– Data breach risks
– Reputational risks
- Executives were targeted in the breack
- Executives and their assistants were compromised
- Company information compromised
Companies are only as secure as their executives.
We recommended a holistic approach to ensure that company executives could protect their privacy, devices, homes, and peace of mind. Our plan consisted of four core elements:
- Assess extent of compromise and exfiltration
- Put identity theft protection and insurance in place for all exposed executives
- Secure the executive team’s and their assistant’s personal devices and home networks
- Set minds at ease by personalizing the response to their specific needs and give them control by not using corporate controls and personnel
Putting the Plan into Action
Because the General Counsel already took initiative on a digital executive protection project, they quickly accelerated post-breach remediation.
The company purchased BlackCloak plans for the entire executive team and assistants, including device monitoring and protection, home network scans, deep/dark web scans for exposed passwords, and other privacy features.
With help from BlackCloak, all executives enabled dual-factor authentication on email, bank, and social media accounts to prevent future breaches.
In addition to putting credit monitoring in place, identity theft insurance up to $1 million was included in each plan.