THE HERO of THE STORY:
Quick Thinking Executive
- Home computer hacked while spouse browsed Safari
- Recognized the home needed higher-grade protection
- Familiar with BlackCloak from a previous company
Client Success Story
Bad actors scam spouse into granting access to personal device
- The executive’s spouse received an alert while browsing Safari claiming the computer was hacked and sensitive information was at risk
- Alert told her to call a support number
- Spouse called the number allowing bad actors to take remote control of her computer via AnyDesk
- The computer was left unattended for three hours giving hackers ample time to conduct malicious acts on the home network and even penetrate the corporate network.
Although convincing, the Apple security alert was a social engineering scam designed to solicit personal information, swindle money, and spread malware.
After noticing that instances of the Safari browser on the home network weren’t working, the executive immediately called BlackCloak executive personal & family cybersecurity services.
The executive found help with BlackCloak. We initiated a comprehensive discovery and remediation plan that would mitigate both short- and long-term threats to the executive’s family cybersecurity.
- Held a discovery call to determine how bad actors gained access to the home device.
- Conducted a thorough device and home network security analysis.
- Successfully removed malicious browser extensions.
Putting the Plan into Action
The executive onboarded BlackCloak’s Concierge Cybersecurity and Privacy™ solution to execute this family cybersecurity remediation strategy. We immediately conducted a thorough analysis of the family’s personal devices and networks and discovered that three malicious Chrome extensions were downloaded: My Search Finder, Search Tab, and Hide My History. These browser hijackers can monitor users’ browsing activity, eavesdrop on web activity, redirect users to malicious websites, and gather personal information.