THE HERO of THE STORY:
- Former Technology Company Owner
- Multi-Generational Family
- Referred by Her Wealth Management Firm
Client Success Story
The Matriarch experienced repeated hacking and identity theft incidents.
- Her credit cards were constantly compromised, with new cards having to be reissued
- She would receive notices of unauthorized access attempts on her smart device accounts
- She stopped using a password manager because it wasn’t syncing properly. As a result, she resorted to storing passwords in unsecure locations or reusing passwords to easily remember them across the large number of accounts she managed for herself and family
We recommended a comprehensive five-step personal cybersecurity plan, starting with a discovery session so that we could learn more about The Matriarch’s unique situation and implement a highly targeted strategy that would be as effective as possible, both immediately and long term.
- Determine how and where she was using the credit cards in an effort to determine where the compromise was occurring
- Harden all of her important accounts with 2FA
- Search for and address any exposed passwords that are contributing to the hacks
- Review best practices for online purchasing (e.g. always use credit, never debit, etc)
- Set-up and train on an encrypted password safe to keep passwords, credit cards and other information secure, and to account for ongoing assistance
Putting the Plan into Action
The Matriarch signed up for the BlackCloak Principal Plan to get added personal concierge cybersecurity assistance 7 days a week. We immediately identified and changed vulnerable passwords across her accounts and gave her the necessary training to successfully use a password manager. We also performed a comprehensive review of her personal device security and the home network security including security cameras. The Matriarch implemented the BlackCloak application on every device within the family — including mobile devices, tablets and computers. Finally, she enabled Dual-Factor Authentication on all accounts.